[Python-3000] Cross-interpreter FFI for Python 3000?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Aug 8 23:31:59 CEST 2006

On 8/8/06, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> > I would suggest that PyPy's use of ctypes, coupled with the inclusion of
> > ctypes in the Python 2.5 stdlib, means that ctypes could reasonably be
> > considered a defacto standard for a C FFI in Python at this point.
>
> Intriguing idea.  I know that the Pygame folks, for example, are
> experimenting with rewrapping the SDL (Simple Directmedia Library, the core
> of Pygame) in ctypes.

Isn't a problem with ctypes that such extensions can no longer
guarantee "no segfaults"? This pretty much completely rules them out
for use in sandboxes such as what Brett Cannon is currently working
on. With hand-written extensions at least you can audit them to decide
whether they are safe enough.