[Python-3000] threading, part 2

Luis P Caamano lcaamano at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 03:51:25 CEST 2006

That's how I feel too Josiah.  In some ways, it's the same as writing
device drivers in a pre-emptable kernel.  You can get interrupted and
pre-empted by the hardware at any freaking time in any piece of code
and your memory might go away so you better pin it and deal with the
interrupts.  Forget about that and you end up with a nice kernel
panic.  Still, we have all kinds of device drivers on SMP,
pre-emptable kernels.  It can be done.

[ sarcastic mode on ]

Yes, if it gets exposed to the language it should come with a big
warning ... now, how condescending should that warning be?  "You can't
use this unless you're a good programmer!"  or "You better know what
you're doing"  or how about "A guy once pulled out all his pubic hair
trying to figure out what happened when he started using this
feature!"?

[ sarcastic mode off]

It's a gun, here's a bullet, it's a tool, go get food but try not to
shoot yourself.

I'm also -0 on this, not that I think my opinion counts though.  I'm
-0 because Tomer pointed me to a nice recipe that uses ctypes to get
to the C interface.  I'm happy with that and we can start using it
right now.  Perhaps that should be as high as it gets expose so that
it would be an automatic skill test?  If you can find it, you probably
know how to use it and the kind of problems you might run into.

--
Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA USA