[Python-3000] threading, part 2

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 08:58:47 CEST 2006

Slawomir Nowaczyk wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:51:25 -0400
> Luis P Caamano <lcaamano at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> #> That's how I feel too Josiah.  In some ways, it's the same as writing
> #> device drivers in a pre-emptable kernel.  You can get interrupted and
> #> pre-empted by the hardware at any freaking time in any piece of code
> #> and your memory might go away so you better pin it and deal with the
> #> interrupts.  Forget about that and you end up with a nice kernel
> #> panic.  Still, we have all kinds of device drivers on SMP,
> #> pre-emptable kernels.  It can be done.
>
> Of course it can... but do we *really* want programming in Python3k to
> be comparable in difficulty to writing device drivers?

No, but "programming in Py3k" and "trying to asynchronously terminate an
active thread in Py3k without active cooperation from that thread" are not
really the same thing. Making easy things easy and difficult things possible
is a good goal - making difficult things appear to be deceptively easy is a
good way to cause problems down the road :)

Cheers,
Nick.