[Python-3000] Draft pre-PEP: function annotations

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Sun Aug 13 10:53:23 CEST 2006

"Paul Prescod" <paul at prescod.net> wrote:
> On 8/13/06, Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:

> > If we were to specify anything, I would suggest we define an order of
> > annotation calling, which would also define a chaining order if
> > applicable.  Maybe it is completely obvious, but one should never
> > underestimate what kinds of silly things users will do.
>
> Annotations are not called. They are not like decorators.

Right.  What I meant (which perhaps wan't what I said), was that we
should define the order in which functions that operate on these
annotations execute, regardless of the mechanism.  Say, for example, I
have the following function definition:

    def foo(arg1:[bar(1), baz(2)]):

However the (unspecified user defined machinery that handles the)
annotation processing gets to foo(), if it knows about how to handle the
'bar' and 'baz' annotations, a properly written annotation processor
will handle the 'bar' annotation before the 'baz' annotation.

 - Josiah