[Python-3000] Draft pre-PEP: function annotations

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Aug 15 03:13:53 CEST 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> It can't be a "separate program altogether", since to get at the
> annotations, the  program must import the module that contains them.

Why? I can imagine something like a documentation
generator or static type checker that just parses the
source, being careful not to execute anything.

Also, even if it does work by importing the module,
how is the module being imported supposed to know
which annotation processor is going to be processing
its annotations, and therefore what generic methods
need to be overridden, and how to go about doing
that -- assuming there is no standardisation of any
sort?

--
Greg