[Python-3000] Conventions for annotation consumers

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 04:18:15 CEST 2006

On 8/15/06, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Paul Prescod wrote:
> > What if
> > two different groups start fighting over the keyword "type" or "doc" or
> > "lock"? Python already has a module system that allows you to use the
> > word "type" and me to use the word "type" without conflict
>
> But, in general, performing this disambiguation requires
> executing the module that is making the annotations. For
> a processor that only wants to deal with the source, this
> is undesirable.

The path to the module should be considered more like a namespace
identifier. When I see the annotation Number is in annolib.types,
'annolib.types' can be taken as a unique namespace identifier to
understand the context of the name 'Number'. This doesn't need any
processing of the annolib.types module itself, because the contents of
that module are not important, only the name.