[Python-3000] Function annotations considered obfuscatory (Re: Conventions for annotation consumers)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Aug 16 16:45:46 CEST 2006

On 8/16/06, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes and no; I don't think it will be that uncommon to have multiple
> annotations, somewhat similar to "public static final int".  Also note
> that needing to disambiguate the annotations will tend to increase
> their length.

God save us from public static final int.

> I hope that needing more than one line per argument will be unusual,
> but needing more than one line for a definition may not be.

I expect the latter will be too, as it would only matter for code that
somehow straddles two or more frameworks.

> That is one reason I wonder whether all annotations/modifications have
> to actually be part of the prologue, or whether they could be applied
> to the Signature afterwards.

And how would that reduce the clutter? The information still has to be
entered by the user, presumably with the same disambiguating tags, and
some punctuation.