[Python-3000] Fwd: Conventions for annotation consumers

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Sun Aug 20 02:06:23 CEST 2006

On 8/19/06, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:

> The callmeta decorator wouldn't provide any extra information itself,
> all it does is decorate(wrap) the functions so that the meta data gets
> called.  It activates the meta data calls.

I think we're using the word "metadata" differently. In my universe,
metadata is a form of data and you don't "call" data. You just assert it. I
think that what you are trying to do is USE metadata as a form of runtime
precondition. That's totally fine as long as we are clear that there are
many uses for metadata that do not require anything to "happen" during the
function's instantiation. A documentation annotation or annotation to map to
a foreign type system are examples. So the decorator is allowed but
optional. Given that that's the case, I guess I don't understand the virtue
of bringing decorators into the picture. Yes, they are one consumer of
metadata. Module-scoped functions are another. Application scoped functions
are another. Third party data extraction programs are another. Decorators
working with metadata are just special cases of runtime processors of it.

 Paul Prescod