[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] What should the focus for 2.6 be?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 11:45:58 CEST 2006

Josiah Carlson wrote:
> Also, in the talk he gave at Google on July 21, somewhere around the
> 7:45-11 minute mark, he talks about how 3.x features are to be
> backported to 2.7 or so, specifically so that there is a larger subset
> of Python that will run in both 2.x and 3.x .  Smells like an attempt at
> gradual migration to me.

He also said that he doesn't expect Python 3.0 to see widespread usage, with a
relatively rapid evolution to 3.1 (and possibly even 3.2).

I don't think there's really that much disagreement here - the difference is
that Guido wants to get 3.0 out early so that we *know* what the eventual
target is for later 2.x releases.

Cheers,
Nick.