[Python-3000] Py3k release schedule worries

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Dec 19 01:52:28 CET 2006

On 12/18/06, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:
> On 12/18/06, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > I am getting worried about the Py3k release schedule.
>
> Hah, only now? I've been worried every time I archive 20-unread-message
> conversations in the python-3000 list -- which it feels like I've been doing
> every two days for months :)

Me too, I just didn't have the guts to bring it up before. :-)

[...]
> > Perhaps the most controversial issue that I'd like to tackle is a
> > standard library reorganization. This is so controversial that I don't
> > even know where to begin. Maybe the refactoring tool will be able to
> > help and can automatically convert imports using old locations to
> > imports using new locations? Then if the new locations are also made
> > available in Python 2.6, we'd even have an upgrade path. Who wants to
> > help out here? There's a huge amount of work and if it is left to me
> > it won't get done.
>
> I'm afraid that this problem just needs a decision: How do you (Guido, not
> python-3000) want to organize the standard library?  Maybe you already made
> that decision and it was in one of the threads I never read -- if so, sorry
> :P
> Anyway, there's lots to be said for all approaches to organizing the
> standard library, so I think you should just decide between java-like
> (deeply structured), the current (unstructured, but with modules renamed to
> fit styleguide, possibly with a 'stdlib' package covering all) or inbetween.
> I favour second option without package; the other two options will no doubt
> generate much discussion about how deep the structure should be and what
> categories it should cover. I'd rather spend time renaming modules than
> archiving threads :-)

Ok, so be it. Let this be a pronouncement -- the only stdlib reorg
we're doing will be (a) deleting silly old stuff; (b) rename modules
that don't conform to the current module/package naming convention,
like StringIO, cPickle or UserDict.