[Python-3000] Moving forward: library reorganization

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Dec 19 02:48:49 CET 2006

On 12/18/06, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:

> On 12/18/06, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> >

> > Ok, so be it. Let this be a pronouncement -- the only stdlib reorg
> > we're doing will be (a) deleting silly old stuff; (b) rename modules
> > that don't conform to the current module/package naming convention,
> > like StringIO, cPickle or UserDict.
>

> Let's discuss some practicalities then. How about we just start renaming
> modules in the p3yk branch, and make a new lib-old (it's currently empt)
> that holds aliases for the old names -- but that raise an ImportWarning when
> imported. (If that warning class still exists -- something tells me we
> disabled again, but I don't remember the details.) The refactoring tool
> should be usable for code rewrites, I think, considering there won't be any
> implicit relative imports anymore, but we could do it by search-and-replace
> or spot-the-warnings, too.

ImportWarning is still there; it's used when you try to import a directory
that doesn't have an __init_.py .  It's tested in the test suite.

As for using a lib-old idea, is that for Python 2.x to help transition, or
did you want to do that for Py3K as well?  I see the logic in the former to
help transition but in the latter.

-Brett