[Python-3000] Py3k release schedule worries

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Dec 19 19:00:49 CET 2006

On 12/19/06, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> > - a spec for the string unification (Perhaps Fredrik has done some
> > work on it in one of those threads that I haven't opened yet?)
>
> I seem to remember that Google developers have access to other
> developer's home directories, but I thought that only applied to
> Google employees ;-)

You haven't been running Google desktop have you? :-)

> (I haven't abandoned this, but it hasn't been a top priority; partially
> because Larry Hastings work on smarter concatenation has showed that
> "lazy evaluation" can work in today's Python, and partially due to the
> schedule/discussion issues you write about.)

Now's the time for that work to come out of the closet. Should I hold
off on the basic unification-Guido-style (discarding str and renaming
unicode to str, essentially) or can I start that now and will the new
work be able to build on top of that?