[Python-3000] versionadded/versionchanged in doc

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Dec 19 22:28:52 CET 2006

On 12/19/06, Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 16:03, Neal Norwitz wrote:
>  > have all the doc be clean.  My only concern is that it might be
>  > confusing for people.  Though my first guess is that it won't be any
>  > more confusing than anything else we do, so I'd prefer to see it
>  > cleaned up.
>
> Remove them from the documentation source or remove them from the formatted
> output?  I'd be happy to see 1.x and 2.x notes removed from the formatting,
> but people who work with several versions find this helpful (I do!).

I think that it would be useful to have "new in 3.0" or "changed in
3.0" annotations visible in the 3.0 docs. I don't think it would be
useful to have the exact 1/2.x version where something was added
visible; someone interested in that information should consult the
latest 2.x docs. I'm fine with keeping those annotations in the source
though.

For people who really want to write code that runs unchanged in 2.x
and 3.0 the constraints will be so tight (e.g. can't use print, can't
use iterkeys) that their best bet will be to use the most recent 2.x
version available (2.6 or 2.7) as their only 2.x target -- those will
likely have some special features that will make it easier to write
forwards compatible code.