[Python-3000] versionadded/versionchanged in doc

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Tue Dec 19 23:02:06 CET 2006

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 16:47, Terry Reedy wrote:
 > I am pretty sure that a large majority of people learning Python for the
 > first time with Python 3 would prefer this.  If Python3 is as successful
 > as we might hope, new Pythoneers will become the majority.

Agreed.  Those who are interested in the historical notes are a smaller
audience, and somewhat specialized.

 > Perhaps for some, but I would expect that docs cluttered with 'New/changed
 > in 3.0' to be just as confusing for others.  Perhaps we need two versions
 > of the docs: a Python x.y set and a Python forever set.

Hmm.  I think a little bit of JavaScript would go a long way.  ;-)  After
looking at the code for the HTML generation, I don't think that would be
difficult to do at all.

I'm not sure how to deal with the printed version yet; perhaps the best thing
for non-HTML versions is to simply drop the older version notes.  Most people
use the HTML version anyway.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>