[Python-3000] A couple of PEP 3101 related questions

Talin talin at acm.org
Thu Dec 21 04:52:44 CET 2006

1) What's the process for editing a PEP after it has been reviewed, but
before its been accepted?

I've recently had some requests to make some edits to the PEP. However,
I don't want to do these in "stealth mode", like a congressional staffer
who inserts changes into a bill right before it's voted on.

2) What's a good way to prototype a change to a built-in class? Is there
a way that you can write a function in Python, and add it as a method to
a built-in class?

Specifically, what I'd like to be able to do is to add a method to the
standard string class, and this should affect all strings, even ones
created via literal quotes.

Specifically what I'm aiming for is to be able to write unit tests for
3101 without needing to have the C code already in place. That way,
whoever volunteers to do the C code can have the unit tests already
working before they begin.

-- Talin