[Python-3000] Pre-PEP: Simple input built-in in Python 3000

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Dec 24 02:41:44 CET 2006

On 12/23/06, Calvin Spealman <ironfroggy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was reading the thread and wanted to make a comment about the "input
> from a GUI". It should be noted that whatever the names of these
> functions, or their allowed parameters, etc., the idea of them being
> more than console IO should be allowed for. The builtins should be
> easily redefinable when you run a script (at least optionally, in the
> future) to use a simply prompt GUI and dialogs, etc. Even if the
> script was written without such in mind.
>
> Is this too much to consider?

It is already easy enough to replace any built-in in a specific
environment. I don't think we need to make this part of the spec for
input(). For example, it should be trivial to write a little driver
program that takes a script file and further arguments (for the
script) and runs the script in an environment where stdout/stderr go
to a Tkinter text window (or Gtk, or whatever) and input() pops up
some kind of dialog, for example. IDLE does something like this; its
input() reads from the console window.