[Python-3000] Suggestion to replace `global' keyword with `modular' ...

Ivan Krstic krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 7 04:28:55 CEST 2006

chris at seberino.org wrote:
> I would like to suggest replacing the 'global' keyword
> with a new keyword 'modular'.

What you're calling 'true globals,' other languages (e.g. PHP) call
superglobals. Python does have these, sort of: you can emulate a
superglobal by sticking things into __builtins__, which isn't
particularly clean, but gets the job done.

I'm a complete -1 on replacing the name 'global' for no good reason, and
a further -1 on the word 'modular,' which to me implies that the
variable itself is composed of, or can be broken into, modules.

--
Ivan Krstic <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D