[Python-3000] Lexical Scoping and Javascript

Talin talin at acm.org
Sun Jul 9 00:30:18 CEST 2006

I would like to refer everyone to a very interesting URL:

    http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/New_in_JavaScript_1.7

As you can see, there are a lot of features that are being considered
for inclusion in Javascript that have been pretty much copied verbatim
from Python.

However, what's even more interesting is the new features that *haven't*
been taken from Python. Some of those proposals address many of the same
issues that we've been discussing here recently, and I'm pretty
impressed with some of the solutions they have come up with.

I'd like to encourage those who are interested to read the Javascript
document carefully (in particular, all of the sections describing 'let',
and the 'dictionary assignment' feature) and think about how this line
of thinking might affect the discussion here.

Who knows, perhaps there might be some cross-borrowing :)

-- Talin