[Python-3000] callable()

Raymond Hettinger rhettinger at ewtllc.com
Thu Jul 20 22:53:58 CEST 2006

>> Why is this a defect?  Have we abandoned the notion of SeqIter
>> automatically wrapping any object with __getitem__()?
>

> Actually, the autowrapping was intended a backwards compatibility
> measure.
>
> We should make a conscious decision whether we should make it a
> permanent feature or not.

It sure simplified writing extensions.
And it provided a convenient guarantee that all sequences are iterable.
I don't see a downside to keeping it.

> (I also think that the two-argument form
> iter(function, sentinel) is not very successful or useful and might be
> dropped, but that's a separate issue.)

This functionality should be moved to itertools.
That will clear-up the odd function signature for iter().
As it stands now, the function/sentinel form suffers from invisibility.

Raymond