[Python-3000] packages in the stdlib

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 13:29:28 CEST 2006

On 5/31/06, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Why would a 3rd-party module be installed into the stdlib namespace?
> net.jabber wouldn't exist unless it was in the stdlib or the module's author
> decided to be snarky and inject their module into the stdlib namespace.

Do you really want the stdlib to "steal" all of the simple names (like
net, gui, data, ...)? While I don't think it's a particularly good
idea for 3rd party modules to use such names, I'm not too keen on
having them made effectively "reserved", either.

And if there was a "net" package which contained all the networking
modules in the stdlib, then yes I would expect a 3rd party developer
of a jabber module to want to take advantage of the hierarchy and
inject itself into the "net" namespace. Which would actually make name
collisions worse rather than better. [Although, evidence from the
current os module seems to imply that this is less of an issue than
I'm claiming, in practice...]

Paul.