[Python-3000] packages in the stdlib

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jun 2 20:53:15 CEST 2006

"Aaron Bingham" <bingham at cenix-bioscience.com> wrote in message
news:448001E4.5070003 at cenix-bioscience.com...
>[me]
>>For the latter (2 above), I think those who want such mostly agree in
>>principle on a mostly two-level hierarchy with about 10-20 short names
>>for
>>the top-level, using the lib docs as a starting point for the categories

> That's fine with me, but I still think we need a top-level prefix.

I think that 10-20 reserved names is hardly such a burden that we would
need anything more on top to avoid collisions -- especially if the list is
fixed.  The currently problem is that modules can be added to the stdlib
that clash with existing 3rd party modules.  That would no longer happen
under my variation of the classification proposal, which would include a
misc package.

>>When it become trivial to grab and
>>install non-stdlib modules, then the distinction between stdlib and not
>>becomes even less important.
>>
> The distinction is still very important if I want my code to run with
> minimal fuss on anyone's machine.

Under the hypothesis 'trivial to install...' then the extra fuss would be
small.  Do you really consider 'little extra fuss' to be the same as 'lots
of extra fuss'?

Terry Jan Reedy