[Python-3000] iostack and sock2

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Tue Jun 6 20:30:01 CEST 2006

tomer filiba <tomerfiliba at gmail.com> wrote:

>> You can use WSAAsyncSelect to activate message notification for
>> socket events, and then wait with MsgWaitForMultipleObjects.
>
> i remember reading in the winsock manual that these two methods are
> slower, and not suitable for servers.

Might be FUD or outdated: have a link? Anyway, you can't have a long-running
process which does not poll messages under Windows (the task is immediately
marked as "not responding"), so I'm not sure what you compare it to, when you
say "slower". What is the other "faster" method? WSAAsyncEvent? The only other
way to go I can think of is multithreading (that is exactly how I do write
servers in Python nowadays).

>> It *is* possible to have a single point of event dispatching under
>> Windows too, and it is even possible to have it wrapped portably as
>> Qt did. This is why I do expect Python to be able to handle this
>> kind of things
>
> i agree, but it needs much more thinking and research, and i will
> look into it. but i'm not sure it should be part of the iostack. this
> kind of sync/async io needs more thought anyway.

Agreed. Thanks!

Giovanni Bajo