[Python-3000] PEP 3101 update

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jun 20 20:39:44 CEST 2006

On 6/20/06, Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:
> While you are here, I'd like to ask a couple questions:
>
> 1) Do you have any reaction to Brett Cannon's idea that we add a second,
> optional argument to str() that accepts exactly the same conversion
> specifier syntax? Should I incorporate that into the PEP, or should that
> be a separate PEP?

Not so keen. This seems to be a completely different use of str(). If
we want that API it should be called something else. I don't see an
advantage of overloading str().

> 2) What's your feeling (and this isn't just directed at you) about
> having a sandbox area in the svn repository that's open to general
> modification, kind of like the code version of a wiki? Or, to put it
> another way, what's the best place to put my code so that people have
> the ability to hack on it?

The svn access controls make this impossible AFAIK (but I know very
little about them). I suggest you use one of the more distributed
alternatives, e.g. Mercurial (I keep hearing good things about it).