[Python-3000] PEP 3101 update

Talin talin at acm.org
Sat Jun 24 08:17:05 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 6/20/06, Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:
> The svn access controls make this impossible AFAIK (but I know very
> little about them). I suggest you use one of the more distributed
> alternatives, e.g. Mercurial (I keep hearing good things about it).

All right, I spent some time playing around with Mercurial and so far I
am pretty impressed. Particularly with the fact that it can be used as a
.cgi script. Within an hour after downloading the Mercurial source I was
able to:

   -- Compile and install the package on my laptop
   -- Create an initial repository
   -- Check in my prototype
   -- Compile and install Mercurial on the web server machine (I have an
account at bluehost.com)
   -- Propagate the changes from my laptop to the server
   -- set up Mercurial to function as a .cgi script
   -- write a .htaccess file to tell Apache to use it

You can see the result here:

    http://www.viridia.org/hg/python/string_format

(My god, there's even an RSS feed. Sheesh!)

I'd invite all interested parties to take a look at the code. Some of
it's pretty experimental and I am sure that there are better ways to do
it. But right not its primarily intended as a proof of concept.

-- Talin