[Python-3000] C API changes? [Was: Python 3000 Process]

Kevin Jacobs <jacobs@bioinformed.com> bioinformed at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 21:30:12 CET 2006

On 3/21/06, Michael P. Soulier <msoulier at digitaltorque.ca> wrote:

> On 21/03/06 Neil Schemenauer said:
>
> > The other question I haven't seen much discussion about is C API
> > changes.  Are we hoping that people can port extension modules with
> > little effort or are we going to be doing lots of cleanup?
>
> Can the old API stay around for a while? There's little to anger users
> more
> than API changes that aren't backwards compatible.

Python 2.x will be around for a long time and should remain compatible.  My
view is that Python 3k should be an optional (but hopefully compelling)
upgrade and should start afresh without any unnecessary legacy.  It sounds
like many of the suggested core languages changes for Py3k are likely to be
substantial enough to require changes to both Python code and extensions
anyway.

-Kevin