[Python-3000] C API changes? [Was: Python 3000 Process]

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 06:23:43 CET 2006

On 3/21/06, Neil Schemenauer <nas at arctrix.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:52:34PM -0800, Neal Norwitz wrote:
> > I thought about re-organizing all the methods to try to group them
> > a bit better.  Then I realized the beneift is likely far too small
> > for the larger pain of having to maintain 2 tables of methods (one
> > for 2.x one for 3.x).
>
> Maybe C99 designated initializers could solve that problem (assuming
> we are going to require a C99 compiler).

That (using initializers) would be good for several reasons.  We can
get rid of the "holes" 0s.  We don't need the comments as they would
be redudant with the real names.

If we used C99, we could also use // comments and inline declarations,
rather than only at the start of a scope.  I would like all of these,
though I'm not sure we want to require C99.  I updated the PEP with an
outstanding issues section and added using C99.