[Python-3000] pre-PEP: Procedure for PEPs withBackwards-Incompatible Changes

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Mar 30 04:08:11 CEST 2006

"Steven Bethard" <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:d11dcfba0603281221q286833fag1405e2f9b476cd20 at mail.gmail.com...
> On 3/28/06, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> I like your strawman: if incompatibilities or synergy
>> don't require it to go into Py3k, let's propose it for 2.x.
>
> Yeah, I think this makes a lot of sense - and we should probably
> document it somewhere.  Do you want this in the Backwards-Incompatible
> Changes PEP?  Or another PEP?  Or maybe just an update to PEP 1?

A PEP that proposes that functions be moved in 3.0 can be split into two
actions: an addition and deletion.  The addition can be moved back to 2.x,
but the deletion cannot.  Example: move filter() from builtins to functools
(or whatever it ends up being called).  I think this should be submitted
(and possibly approved) as one 3.0 BIC PEP that mentions the possibility of
a two-phase implementation.  In such a case, the addition to 2.x should not
happen unless and until the deletion in 3.0 is approved and accepted.

The BIC PEP could discuss generic categories like this.

Terry Jan Reedy