[Python-3000] PyGUI in Py3K stdlib, more details

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon May 1 19:30:52 CEST 2006

Le lundi 01 mai 2006 à 09:59 -0700, Bill Janssen a écrit :
> Interesting.  I never seem to use tree-views, but I do use graph
> views.  I think the standard Python GUI should make it easy to build
> these kinds of things.  Right now a graph view is fairly easy to build
> on top of a raw View.

As far as I've seen by trying the demos and taking a quick glance at the
source, PyGUI also lacks (from the top of my head):
- list and combo boxes
- list controls
- icons in menus
- menu hotkeys (e.g. Alt+F to open File menu)
- toolbars (very important)
- status bars
- i18n support especially for built-in texts (like "New", "Open",
"Save", "Ok", "Cancel"...)
- stock icons in accordance with the desktop (e.g. stock Gnome icons),
including fallback in case the desktop doesn't provide them
- stock buttons (ok / close / cancel / etc.)
- ...

Not to mention other wishes like bounded (smart) resizing.

If making PyGUI into the stdlib is important, a wiki or something could
be opened to list the various issues people have with PyGUI.