[Python-3000] Unicode identifiers (Was: sets in P3K?)

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Mon May 1 19:32:16 CEST 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> It depends on the language you use to communicate. In English,
> it is certainly cumbersome to talk about Chinese identifiers.
> OTOH, I believe it is cumbersome to communicate about English
> identifiers in Chinese, either, because the speakers might
> not even know what the natural-language concept behind the
> identifiers is, and because they can't pronounce the identifier.

In theory, a pre-processor or display hook could automatically
translate between the localized names and the "standard" names, even
for keywords.  It would lead to "standard names" like T8asR34k, but it
would work.

Ensuring that it is easy to hook the imports and the editor is
probably useful, and at least part of it can be done in 2.0.  Anything
more than that may be premature.

-jJ