[Python-3000] PyGUI in Py3K stdlib, more details

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Mon May 1 20:44:00 CEST 2006

Antoine, thanks for looking more closely at this.

> PyGUI also lacks (from the top of my head):
> - list and combo boxes

Yes, in my message yesterday I noted that.  I think only
drop-down/pop-up menu support is really necessary for this, and
there's already a menu class that could be mildly altered.

> - list controls

Not sure what you mean here.

> - icons in menus

Not sure this is necessary.

> - menu hotkeys (e.g. Alt+F to open File menu)

Menus already support "keyboard equivalents".
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python_gui/version/Doc/Menu.html

> - toolbars (very important)

I don't see the need, but they could be added.

> - status bars

Why isn't that a label?
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python_gui/version/Doc/Label.html

You must mean something other than what I'm thinking.  Are you referring
to an animated progress bar, perhaps?

> - i18n support especially for built-in texts (like "New", "Open",
>   "Save", "Ok", "Cancel"...)

I suggest that this is a larger problem than just the GUI.  I suggest
we just use whatever is put together for Python in general.  It would
be useful to list the places where this would have to be done (labels,
menu items, etc.).  I think that there are only a few such places in
the GUI toolkit proper.

> - stock icons in accordance with the desktop (e.g. stock Gnome icons),
> including fallback in case the desktop doesn't provide them

I think of this as creeping featurism, but I could see it.  My general
feeling on this is that if you want stock icons, use stock widgets.

> - stock buttons (ok / close / cancel / etc.)

Again, the stock widgets should provide these. And do:
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python_gui/version/Doc/Dialog.html.

> Not to mention other wishes like bounded (smart) resizing.

Not completely sure what this means?  Have you read the documentation
for Container?
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python_gui/version/Doc/Container.html

I see that when I use "sticky" appropriately, the few small test cases
I've tried seem to resize the way I think they should.

Bill