[Python-3000] PyGUI in Py3K stdlib, more details

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue May 2 14:33:42 CEST 2006

Bill Janssen wrote:

> > In wxWidgets, the GUI system is able to calculate the minimal size
> > needed by each and any widget, and to prevent the user from resizing the
> > window below the calculated minimal size. =
>
> I'm not sure that this is effectively possible in all cases, but the
> "set_bounds" method on Container could probably be extended to
> optionally do this.

I'll probably provide minimum and maximum window size settings
at some point (it should be easy enough to do). I'm not sure yet
how automatic I should try to make it. I'll have to think about
that in the wider context of layout calculation, which currently
is not quite as automatic as it is in some other GUI toolkits,
and takes a rather different approach from many of them.

> > - tab-key navigation (navigating among controls by using Tab and
> > Shift-Tab) should be handled automatically. Right now it seems you have
> > to manually define "groups" for tab-key navigation to work.
>
> Seems to work automatically on my test case.  I put up three text
> fields and can tab between them automatically.

PyGUI *should* automatically handle tabbing between text fields
and other controls that you normally type text into. It doesn't
currently go in for tabbing into buttons and check boxes, which
has always seemed silly and annoying to me. I might reconsider
this if it's really what's expected on certain platforms, though.

--
Greg