[Python-3000] PyGUI in Py3K stdlib, more details

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Tue May 2 19:50:57 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Josiah Carlson wrote:
>
> > Technically speaking, any toolkit which allows for scrolling and the
> > laying out of controls in a grid would be sufficient to implement this
>
> Although for large grids it could be prohibitively
> inefficient. You really want to implement this kind
> of thing in a way that doesn't require materialising
> an actual widget for every cell.

One thing that wxPython does is allow for virtual list and grid controls.
The underlying widgets (for custom renderers) are created on the fly
when they are displayed for non-text entries.  Text entries, I believe,
are drawn directly.

This allows for the demos of the 100 million cell wx.Grid and the 1
million line wx.ListCtrl to be "smooth as butter", as the kids say
(grids being cell-based, lists being row-based).

Anyone who is pushing for any GUI toolkit to make it into Py3k should
bite the bullet, and get wxPython installed on their platform along with
the Demo (a separate download). Wandering through all of the widgets and
their functionality, I believe, will give everyone an idea of how big an
undertaking writing a fully featured GUI toolkit really is.  Certainly
not everything needs be implemented to the extent it is in wxWidgets or
wxPython, but there are literally dozens of widgets that people would be
disappointed if they couldn't have.

 - Josiah