[Python-3000] Requirements for a standard GUI library

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 2 22:40:37 CEST 2006

"Talin" <talin at acm.org> wrote in message
news:loom.20060502T201105-105 at post.gmane.org...
> there. I will, however, list what I believe are the qualities that make
> an API great:
>
>  - It should follow the UI conventions of the specific platform that
> it is running on. Ideally, the user should not be able to tell that this
> is not a native-written application. This includes not only widget
> appearance, but subtle details of spacing, focus, selection, tab
> navigation, and so on.

Let me add some a couple of complementary wishes aimed especially but not
exclusively at game and media programs:

-the ability to ignore platforn standards and give an app a unique look and
feel.  A start on this, for instance, is being able to give dialog boxes a
custom background instead of uniform gray or whatever.  (Note: there was a
project on SF, PyUI, I believe, aimed at game programmers, which made a
start but foundered otherwise.)

-the ability to shift to full-screen mode.  Besides many games, many
picture and movies players can do this.  So can MS Internet Explorer.

Terry Jan Reedy