[Python-3000] What do do about IDLE?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon May 8 03:52:53 CEST 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Paul Moore wrote:
>>
>> If the implication here is that there is *no* GUI in the Python
>> standard library, I'd be cautious of this (-0, probably). Things like
>> the pydoc server use a little GUI window.
>
> There *isn't* currently any GUI in the core distribution except on
> Windows. Non-Windows users already have to install Tk separately if
> they want to use IDLE or any of the other things that use it. So I
> don't see this as a big deal.

First of all, Mac users downloading a release get Tk automatically.
Secondly, your argument sounds like a variant of the argument against
adding pysqlite to the core, which I think has some technical merit but
little actual merit.  A library can certainly be part of the core
distribution even if it has dependencies on external libraries.

"Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours."  --Richard Bach