[Python-3000] What do do about IDLE?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Mon May 8 17:38:52 CEST 2006

On Monday 08 May 2006 05:39, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
 > Yes there is. Some distributors are lame enough to think they know better
 > and ship parts of the standard library seperately, but that's not a valid
 > reason for removing parts of the stdlib.

Hopefully they'll learn.  This is been a regular problem for the distutils
package, which is pure Python.

As someone who's preferred building Python from source for years, I've never
considered Tkinter something that's guaranteed to be there.  It's always
depended on external packages, and has been built when the necessary
dependencies are present (or, in the Modules/Setup days, when it's been
explicitly configured).  It's part of the standard library, but has never be
promised to always be available on Unix.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>