[Python-3000] GUI widgets

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue May 9 19:15:04 CEST 2006

Antoine Pitrou writes:
> It is a similar argument to saying "we already offer scrollbar widgets,
> we don't need to provide scrollable views because the developer can
> build them himself".

But that seems a reasonable argument, to me.  I'm not saying that
they shouldn't be in the GUI, I'm just saying that it's not a disaster
if they aren't in the initial release.  Things get better over time,
after all.

> I think styled text display is important. Editable styled text much
> less.
> An example use case for styled text display: a chat window with chat
> messages scrolling along, where you want the name of the participant to
> be displayed in bold at the beginning of his/her messages.

Yes, I think I agree with you.  This is fairly simple to implement,
given, say, an HTML parser, fonts, colors, and the ability to draw
text on a window, but it's not completely trivial.  Would be nice to
package in a widget.

Bill