[Python-3000] my take on "typeclasses"

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Tue May 9 23:03:18 CEST 2006

tomer filiba writes:
> i'm sure my idea has flaws, but i'm very much pro-changing the type system.
       [...]
> types are just an ancient relic, an implementation detail if you wish, that
> was brought from static languages, but is not appropriate to dynamic
> languages. static languages NEED types in order to produce machine
> code, dynamic languages don't, so a different mechanism is needed here,
> imho.

I think the idea of creating a new language with some of the wonderful
syntax of Python along with the wonderful type system of Haskell sounds
GREAT! I would be very interested, and would like to join in the
discussion.

But I don't think it belongs in the Python-3000 discussion group. Can
this discussion be moved elsewhere? Python 3.0 is going to have types,
and they're going to look very similar to the types in Python 2.X --
a brand new language would be a separate project.

-- Michael Chermside