[Python-3000] Requirements for a standard GUI library

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed May 10 03:31:56 CEST 2006

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> Just get a
> window-area from each platform's lowest-level tool and then draw your
> widgets to the screen directly.

But then you have something that looks totally non-native
on all platforms. While it may be useful to have such a thing,
it's not what PyGUI is designed to be.

> The thing that bothers me most about all of Python's GUI
> toolkits is that they are almost always wrappers of wrappers of wrappers...

And I'm trying to minimise this by building PyGUI as directly
as possible on what the platform already provides. But not
at such a low level that native appearance and behaviour
is lost.

> I suspect you could start by just interfacing with the
> "platform-default" toolkits MFC, Cocoa, Gnome, and KDE (using ctypes for
> example) and then using an approach similar to PyGUI to wrap them all up
> using standard calls.

Um... how would that be different from PyGUI itself?

Confused,
Greg