[Python-3000] Changing function-related TypeErrors

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed May 10 14:08:30 CEST 2006

joe user wrote:
> Does this mean you have no more actual technical reasons to oppose this
> change, but are just stomping your foot and implying bad things about
> Winter?  Because there are people who agree with him, and I haven't seen
> any really compelling reasons to avoid this ten-line modification.

When the reasons for and against something are equally weak, the status quo
has to win by default. Anything else leads to change for change's sake (for
example, compare the accepted PEP 352 to its far more ambitious predecessor
PEP 348).

I've been on both sides of this situation (being for or against various
changes), and 'status quo wins a stalemate' is the only way to avoid endless
subjective arguments. I believe Guido was merely pointing out that this
discussion had already reached that point :)

Cheers,
Nick.