[Python-3000] GUI -- an API, not a toolkit

Talin talin at acm.org
Thu May 11 08:45:53 CEST 2006

Josiah Carlson wrote:
> Having identical behavior on all platforms is wonderful, I'm very happy
> for you and everyone else with a toolkit (programming language, etc.) that
> does the same. For the rest of us who cannot use PyQt for one reason or
> another (licensing...), we must rely on non-Qt tools, and as such, are
> likely going to have to deal with wrapped native controls.  Yeah,
> dealing with platform-specific crap isn't ideal, but it's not unique to
> GUI toolkits, and it's certainly not a stranger to Python.

What's the problem with licensing? Qt is GPL'd on Windows, Linux/Unix
and OS X. The old QPL license is officially deprecated; any licensing
problems with Qt are old news, as far as I can tell by looking at their
web site:

   http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/licenses/licensing/opensource

And nothing prevents you from porting it to any other platform, except
that TrollTech won't help you do it :)

-- Talin