[Python-3000] Fw: typeclasses, duck-typing

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri May 12 01:39:26 CEST 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> I'm only showing this example because I think getting rid of
> __magic_names__ for operations could be a good thing for readability, and
> it would remove an element of "magic" from today's Python.

Although overloadable functions are themselves somewhat
magical, so this could be seen as just replacing one
kind of magic by another.

> That *would* be a paradigm shift, albeit one that
> I doubt many Python users would seriously object to.

On the contrary, I expect many Python users would
object to it very strenuously, unless they somehow
became convinced that the new paradigm was clearly
superior overall to the old one. I for one am very
much unconvinced of that.

--
Greg