[Python-3000] What do do about IDLE?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat May 13 17:49:05 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing wrote:
>> If the implication here is that there is *no* GUI in the Python
>> standard library, I'd be cautious of this (-0, probably). Things like
>> the pydoc server use a little GUI window.
>
> There *isn't* currently any GUI in the core distribution
> except on Windows. Non-Windows users already have to
> install Tk separately if they want to use IDLE or any
> of the other things that use it. So I don't see this as
> a big deal.

Not sure what you mean by "core distribution" here... The Python
source distribution? Well:

- there is no file IO in the core distribution; you need a stdio
  implementation on your machine
- there is no support for trigonometric functions in the core
  distribution, you need a math library
- there is no support for networking in the core distribution;
  you need a sockets library, and optionally also OpenSSL
and so on.

Or, perhaps, you are talking about the binary distributions
available from python.org? All binary distributions do include
Tkinter, including the Linux RPMs:

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4/rpms/

Of course, Linux users typically get Python from the CD-ROM
or network installation, and that always included Tkinter
(in addition to also including PyQt and others)

So yes, there is no guarantee that Tkinter is installed on
all systems that have Python installed (not even Windows),
but no, the core distribution does indeed include a GUI library.

Regards,
Martin