[Python-3000] PEP 3102 feedback

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Wed May 24 09:14:56 CEST 2006

On 5/23/06, Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:
> Well, c.l.p was strangely quiet in response to my posting PEP 3102 a few
> days ago. Only two comments, one of a general "ick" variety that seems
> mainly based on personal bias, and another which likes the idea but
> votes a -1 on the 'naked star' syntax.

I don't really like the *, I prefer something like + or / (I don't
really like them much either, I just like them slightly more than *
:-).  + says it's something additional and / reminds me of and/or.
Kinda like take the previous positional arguments and/or the following
keyword arguments.  Though that doesn't work perfect since the keyword
args are required.

> What's the next step after this? One thing that's missing is a sample
> implementation. Unfortunately, its not quite as simple as hacking lambda
> or ASTs, this one affects code generation (AFAICT) and is not something
> I feel confident to do myself.

Go as far as you can, and ask questions when you get stuck.  Not sure
if that's the next step, but it's the best way to learn. :-)