[Python-3000] Path Reform: Get the ball rolling

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Fri Nov 3 02:03:03 CET 2006

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

> In any case, if we all start writing code that makes assumptions
> about pathname syntax, and some platform comes along in the future
> that does things differently, we're hosed.

Some conventions in the world are converging.

For example a byte universally has 8 bits, and a machine word is
always 8 bits times some power of 2. This used to vary.

EBCDIC is nearly dead, everything is a superset of ASCII. Unicode
becomes more common.

It's very likely that any new OS, if it uses textual filenames at all,
will use either the Unix filename convention, or - if it's made by
Microsoft - a bastardized Unix convention.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl
    ^^     http://qrnik.knm.org.pl/~qrczak/