[Python-3000] Draft PEP for outer scopes

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Nov 3 02:20:47 CET 2006

Steven Bethard wrote:
> Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
>
>>Would it help at all to survey some folks to see how many interpret
>>"global variable" to mean "top-level" vs. "anything nonlocal"?
>
> I don't think that'll really be worth it.  I'd be amazed if people
> didn't expect it to mean "top-level".

Another confounding factor could be how familiar the
respondent is with languages that have more than two
scopes in the first place. If most of their programming
experience is with C, they're likely to equate global
with top-level simply because there's no other
possibility in C.

Besides, the BDFL is going to do whatever he wants
anyway, so let's just leave him to get on with it. :-)

--
Greg