[Python-3000] Mini Path object

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 09:59:42 CET 2006

On 11/10/06, Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:
> What I am arguing against is an overly strict and pedantic
> interpretation of the differences in path representation across
> platforms. True, in theory, you can't compare a windows path with a
> posix path, but in practice it generally "just works".
>
> I sometimes notice a tendency on this list that anything which is not
> 100% provably correct should be forbidden, no matter how useful it is.

That's a fair point, and you're right that 99% of the time, things
work fine. I was reacting against the implication in your comments of
"use Posix and you're fine" as if that precluded the need for thinking
about the issue. As I've been bitten many, many times by code which
assumes Posix is all that matters, and gives unnatural (or indeed
simply incorrect) results on Windows, this is a bit of a sore point
for me.

As long as you think about what you're doing, and don't assume
portability is free, then all of the proposed APIs will work fine.
Which one is *better* is a different discussion... :-)

Paul.