[Python-3000] yes to class decorators

Jack Diederich jackdied at jackdied.com
Thu Nov 16 07:31:18 CET 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 01:06:04AM +0200, tomer filiba wrote:
[tomer filiba wrote stuff]

I was hoping this thread would go unremarked but it looks like
it is picking up some steam.  So I'll throw in my two bits:
Please for the love of god abandon this thread.  It has been done.
You weren't there.  If you were there you have already said your
piece.  If you weren't there you are wet behind the ears and won't
be contributing anything meaningful.

If you really want to post then first:

1) Please go to gmane.org and read all the threads that match
   "class decorators" in the group "gmane.comp.python.devel"
   before posting.

.. and then ..

2a) Feel free to suggest ideas for a class decorator library
    (which is what I think Filiba was offering)
2b) If you want to suggest a new language feature like "make"
   then write a PEP like the "make" folks.
2c) Don't post

I realize this is the py3k list and asking people to keep their
crazy to themselves is an act of utopian optimism but I'm asking
anyway.  Don't poison the well for a simple, consistent, and
pythonic feature like class decorators by piggy backing your
amazing new idea on its adoption.

Did I mention I care about this feature and don't want
a raft of crazies screwing it up with their own vices?

-Jack

NB, if this thread is allowed to die peacefully I'll post a
patch by the new year (mainly because Christmas is the next
time I'll have a couple days free).