[Python-3000] Builtin iterator type

George Sakkis gsakkis at rutgers.edu
Thu Nov 16 20:56:51 CET 2006

On 11/16/06, Jason Orendorff <jason.orendorff at gmail.com> wrote:

> (Actually, even if you *can* say something nice, this conversation
> might be worth dropping.  Just a thought.)

I agree. For me, the bottom line and the main argument for dropping
the proposal is "itertools is not as big as you think it is to
introduce a builtin rich-iterator object". It might be a bad analogy
for some, but it reminds me of the "why have a path object, os.path.*
is fine" reactions a while back [1]. All other arguments can be
rebutted. Perhaps when we start seeing more "from itertools import
..." all over the place, we can reopen it. For now let's leave this
thread R.I.P.

George

[1] I haven't followed the recent path and mini path object
discussions to know if things have changed since then. One thing I
know though is that Jason's path module has practically replaced os.*
and glob.* in my code.