[Python-3000] A plea for anonymous functions

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sat Nov 18 02:21:42 CET 2006

Talin wrote:
> How is it that
> people are so hostile to something that I, and apparently others, find
> so useful?

I don't think it's hostility so much as a weary feeling
that this discussion is revisiting something that's been
hashed over many times before with no satisfactory
result.

If there were a simple and obvious way to fit code blocks
into Python's syntax, we'd probably have them already.
The reason we don't is not because we don't think they'd
be useful, but that we don't think they'd be useful
*enough* to warrant the syntactic awkwardness that would
be required to get them, unless we gave up on indentation-
based block structure, but we like that a *lot*, so it's
not really an option.

If you want to make any headway on this, you're going to
have to come up with an extremely clever syntactic idea.
And it would be a good idea to research previous discussions
on the topic to find out what sort of ideas were not
considered clever enough.

--
Greg