[Python-3000] Abilities / Interfaces

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Nov 23 00:37:59 CET 2006

At 03:19 PM 11/22/2006 -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>I consider it a waste of time since the if-version works and there's
>no reason for it to be extensible.

But if that's true, then there's no reason for it to use interfaces,
either, is there?  :)  It seems like a double standard to say, "well,
sometimes you have quick-and-dirty code that doesn't need extensibility",
and then later complain that it should be able to check for an interface,
instead of using either a concrete type or an overload or generic.

That is, I don't think you can use the quick'n'dirty case simultaneously as
an argument against overloads and *for* interfaces.  :)